The cause of perioral dermatitis is unknown. However, experts suggest that it can occur after the use of strong topical steroids on the skin. These may be prescribed to treat another condition. Nasal sprays containing corticosteroids may cause perioral dermatitis as well.
How do you treat perioral dermatitis around the eyes?
To treat perioral dermatitis:
- Stop using all topical steroid medications and facial creams.
- Ask your doctor if you need an antibiotic. For mild cases, an antibiotic that goes on the skin may be enough. These include erythromycin and metronidazole.
What triggers perioral dermatitis?
One of the most common factors is prolonged use of topical steroid creams and inhaled prescription steroid sprays used in the nose and the mouth. Overuse of heavy face creams and moisturizers are another common cause. Other causes include skin irritations, fluorinated toothpastes, and rosacea.
Can perioral dermatitis be around eyes?
Although it is usually found around the mouth, perioral dermatitis can also move to your eyelids, or around your eyes and nose. It can also appear on your genitals, scalp, ears, neck, extremities and trunk. The rash can cause an itching or burning sensation.
What is the fastest way to cure perioral dermatitis?
It’s common to be prescribed anywhere from eight to 12 weeks of daily antibiotics, and those antibiotics sometimes come with their own side effects, including stomach irritation and yeast infections. But for more severe cases, oral antibiotics tend to be the most surefire way to cure perioral dermatitis fast.
What foods trigger perioral dermatitis?
An undiagnosed allergy or intolerance of gluten is one of the main foods that trigger Perioral Dermatitis. Switching to a gluten-free diet, preferably low carb or carb-free diet that is high protein, has shown improvement in the condition.
Should I moisturize perioral dermatitis?
In general, you want to avoid lots of oils and heavy moisturizers on skin inflamed with Perioral Dermatitis, so you won’t find any oil based products in this category in our beauty store, except for Osmia’s Nectar, which Sarah has said has worked fine for her skin.
How do you calm down perioral dermatitis?
Oral antibiotics are considered the most reliable treatment for perioral dermatitis. These help to clear up any underlying infections that may be contributing to this rash. To avoid antibiotic resistance, your dermatologist will likely recommend decreasing doses as part of your treatment plan.
How do I get rid of perioral dermatitis on my face?
How do dermatologists treat perioral dermatitis?
- Stop applying all corticosteroids, including hydrocortisone cream, to your skin.
- Take an antibiotic, such as tetracycline or erythromycin.
- Change your skin care routine.
How do you stop perioral dermatitis from spreading?
How can I prevent perioral dermatitis?
- Avoid topical steroids. Avoid steroid creams and ointments unless specifically directed by your doctor. …
- Use cosmetics with caution. Avoid using heavy cosmetics or skin creams. …
- Protect your skin. Limit the amount of time your skin comes into contact with the elements.
Can Vaseline cause perioral dermatitis?
Factors that may trigger perioral dermatitis include the following: Drugs: steroid creams, ointments, and inhalers. Fluorinated toothpaste. Skincare lotions and creams, especially those containing petroleum jelly, paraffin base, and isopropyl myristate.
What cream is good for perioral dermatitis?
The topical treatments most often recommended for perioral dermatitis include:
- Metronidazole cream or gel.
- Clindamycin lotion or gel.
- Erythromycin gel.
- Topical sulfur preparations.
- Azelaic acid gel.
- Tacrolimus ointment.
- Pimecrolimus cream.
What is the best face wash for perioral dermatitis?
- The Cleanser. Spectro Jel Cleanser Fragrance-Free. …
- The Toner. Tower 28 Beauty SOS Save.Our.Skin Daily Rescue Facial Spray. …
- The Serum. Marie Veronique Soothing B3 Serum. …
- The Spot Treatment. California Baby Calendula Cream. …
- The Repairing Balm. La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 Balm. …
- The Sunscreen. …
- The Mist. …
- The Cleansing Oil.
Does apple cider vinegar cure perioral dermatitis?
Apple cider vinegar has natural anti-inflammatory properties, which make it an effective treatment for relieving dermatitis. The compound is also antibacterial, so it also works to eliminate infection-causing toxins in and on the skin.
Can vitamin C help with perioral dermatitis?
My Perioral Dermatitis Routine
Please stop over-treating your skin with products. Yes, that means no more retinol, AHAs, Vitamin C serums, masks, oils, you name it, just for the time being.
What do doctors prescribe for perioral dermatitis?
Metronidazole is an imidazole ring-based antibiotic active against various anaerobic bacteria and protozoa. In concentrations of 0.75-2%, it is considered to be the drug of choice for topical treatment of perioral dermatitis. Metronidazole is available in a gel, lotion, or cream.